We do not know how long there has been a Council in Lane End.
Although Parish Councils were first established in 1894, Church Councils were the local power in the land for centuries before that. There is a headstone in the churchyard at Lane End that reads “Here lies Daniel Avery for 30 years Clerk to this Parish “. Daniel Avery died in 1898!
Doug Pullen who has been a Councillor for over thirty years recalls that the proceedings in the 1970s were very different from today. Jacket, collar and tie were the mandatory dress code for men and jackets could only be removed with the express permission of The Chairman!
The Council’s simple and over-riding objective is to make The Parish and even better place to live in and enjoy. There are numerous ways this can be achieved and our detailed plans are set out in The Parish Plan which can be read on this web-site.
The Plan was drawn up following a detailed questionnaire sent to all households in The Parish. Over forty percent responded which clearly demonstrates the interest residents have in the project.
All Parish Councillors are volunteers and give their time, energy and commitment free of charge. Our over-riding objective is to continually seek to improve all aspects of life in this community and we believe we continue to make good progress in this endeavour